Holy Monastery of St. Panteleimon and Evoulis Amyntaio
The Monastery of St. Panteleimon and Evoulis in Amyntaio, Greece is built next to the village of St. Panteleimon, in 10 minutes distance from Amyntaio and 20km away from Ptolemaida. The nuns devote a large part of their time to ministries, which among others include the manufacture of sweets and pasta. In their efforts to support the local community, the nuns produce excellent handmade creations the income from which is offered to poor families.
The monastery was founded by His Eminence Mr. Theoklitos, Metropolitan of Florina and Prespa Eordea, in 2004. It is built next to the village of St. Panteleimon, between Vegoritida and Petron, and in 10 minutes distance from Amyntaio and 20 from Ptolemaida . The monastic tradition in the Amyntaio area exists since 1380 – time of the Palaiologian dynasty – and in the community of St. Panteleimon where a male Byzantine style monastery operated. According to testimonies of French travelers and historians, in 1830 it was destroyed after an extensive flooding when a strong earthquake caused the overflow of Vegoritida lake.
His Eminence Metropolitan, Mr. Theoklitos, spotted in the diptychs of the Church a report on the existence of dissolved male Monastery, an information that was the springboard to proceed to the establishment of women. So, to the point where the church existed & was dedicated to St. George, the construction of the monastic complex took place. The monastery is spiritually connected to Mount Athos, and administratively belongs to the Metropolis of Florina and Prespa Eordea.
The nuns devote a large part of their time to ministries, which, among others, include the manufacturing of sweets and pasta. In their effort to support the local community, the nuns offer a significant part of their handmade creations income to poor families.