Holy Monastery of Great Lavra
The Holy Monastery was built on the ruins of the ancient city “Akroathos” by St. Athanasius. Its construction began in March 963 as reported by the Saint himself in his will. During the millennium-long history of the monastery it went through periods of prosperity and decline. More than 50 saints lived ascetically in the monastery and the surrounding area. Multitudes of Holy relics can be found here. In the sacristy great heirlooms are kept while in the library of the monastery around 2050 manuscripts are stored.
There are more than 30,000 printed books. It is considered, particularly with regards to its incunabula, the richest library of Mount Athos. The church of the monastery was adorned with frescoes by the renowned iconographer Theophanes the Cretan in 1535. Feast Day: Saint Athanasius the Athonite.