Holy Monastery of Iviron
The monastery celebrates on the 15th of August and occupies the third rank in the hierarchical order of the twenty Athonite monasteries. It was built by John the Iberian in 1030. In front of the Beautiful Gate one large silver oil lamp is hanging and moving by itself at various times.
It highlights the presence of the Blessed Virgin Mary and is calling the sinners to repentance. Inside the courtyard there is a chapel with the miraculous icon of Panagia Portaiitissa. During the Greek Revolution apart from the financial aid, the Holy Monastery of Iviron offered to the Greek War of Independence (1821-1832) numerous gold and silver artifacts. As it was estimated by Kapodistrias, the artifacts that the monastery donated to the nation exceeded the exorbitant amount of 600,000 drachmas. Its library is the richest in Balkans in archetypes and contains over 2,000 manuscripts.