Holy Monastery of Stavronikita
The Monastery has been built on a cliff near the sea and exists since the 11th century. Its main church is the smallest one on Mount Athos. It is dedicated to Saint Nicholas and was constructed upon the oldest church of Virgin Mary. It is adorned with frescoes by the great hagiographer Theophanes of Crete and his son Simeon in 1546.
In the right shrine of the main church the ancient miraculous image of St. Nicholas of the Oyster can be found. The Bank has remarkable frescoes of the Cretan School. In the library there are 171 manuscripts (11th-18th centuries). Some years ago unpublished speeches of St. John Chrysostom were discovered here by a French Byzantinologist.
Feast: Saint Nicholas.