The Holy Mandylion
The prototype of the original copy dates back to the year 1898 AD on Mount Athos and the icon of the Holy Mandylion is of particular interest due to its high artistic value.
In stock (can be backordered)
The prototype of the original copy dates back to the year 1898 AD on Mount Athos and the icon of the Holy Mandylion is of particular interest due to its high artistic value, but also because of its cursive inscription according to which it was given to “the Bishop Nectarios of Pentapolis” as a remembrance of his visit to the Hagiographic House of Iosafaion on Mt Athos in 1898.
The Iosafaioi artists dare a groundbreaking renewal of the expressive means of the Athonite hagiography by adopting an artistic language that is directly influenced by the western-academic style and which was matched by the aesthetic and searches of many Russian pilgrims on Mount Athos in the second half of the 19th century. Holder of the original work is the Sanctuary of the Holy Trinity – St. Nectarios of Aegina.
It is produced with the opti plex technique (combination of photographic printing and acrylic glass). It is offered in an excellent packaging accompanied by a description of the artwork by the associate professor of Byzantine art and archeology, Semoglou Athanasius.
|Dimensions||10 x 11.5 cm|